Now we're going to look at the best 3D modeling applications that exist. Whether you're working in an animation studio, as an architect or on a video game, you have to create detailed 3D models. The following applications are fairly complex and more suited for somebody who has a fair amount of knowledge in design and 3D environments. Let's take a look at them:
- Cinema 4D - Turns your PC into a real animation studio. Has a real streamlined interface thanks to OpenGL support and non-modal managers. Cinema 4D is excellent when it comes to lighting, materials and interaction between scenes. Its content browser really helps managing multiple projects.
- Google Sketchup - A free and friendlier alternative to 3D modeling apps, Google Sketchup uses simple words instead of technical jargon, making it accessible to anyone. A good collection of tools, more than a 100 material settings and shadows make it a good choice. You can customize your workspace and integrate your models in Google Earth.
- 3DS Max - A classic choice for 3D design and animation professionals, 3DS Max offers loads of advanced modeling tools and pixel perfect control over your models. Also quickly renders your templates.
- Autodesk Maya - An interface divided in tabs and fitted with a useful timeline, many animations and objects make for a great solution for designers. Maya offers in depth tutorials (including video tips) to get you up and running.
- Blender - With a database replete with objects, scenes and instances, a streamlined interface and many animations and effects Blender is one of the best applications you'll find. Supports OpenGL lighting modes and features Python scripting.
- Art of Illusion - A simple, open source solution for those wanting to get a feel for 3D design.
- AC3D - Quick and with a structured, multi windowed interface, this application allows you to carry out a number of actions such as object annotation, wrap and birdge or polygon reduction.
- Modo - This program is a good combination of realistic paint tools, an advanced 3D polygonal environment and integrated rendering.
- Strate 3D CX - Another top choice this 3D modeling program features polyspline modeling and HDRI textures and lightdome. Can work in conjunction with both Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. A good choice for web designers.
- BodyPaint 3D - Create 3D characters, color them in and add movement and effects with this 3D animation program. Great for video games and cartoons, as it gives you a lot of freedom in the production process.
[Image Source: Wikipedia]