Yesterday we reported Apple would be releasing iOS 8.0.1 soon to fix bugs with the keyboard, dialer and other bugs. Apparently “soon” meant 24 hours as the company is beginning to push the update to iOS 8 devices.
If you’ve experienced issues any of the following issues, the iOS 8.0.1 update will fix them:
– Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store
– Addresses an issue where 3rd party keyboards could become deselectected when a user enters their passcode
– Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library
– Improves reliability of the Reachability feature on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
– Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages
– Better support of Ask To Buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases
– Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups
– Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari
There have also been other reports of users have Wi-Fi connection issues and unusual battery drain. Apple doesn’t state whether these issues are fixed in this update so these fixes for these problems may come at a later date.
UPDATE 9/24/14 10:32AM PT: According to many users on Twitter, the iOS 8.0.1 update is causing a slew of new problems. Some users report TouchID not working and, more worryingly, the inability to connect to the cellular network. I would hold off on updating to iOS 8.0.1 until Apple responds to these issues.
Welp, iOS 8.0.1 that just got released killed my cellular data and my TouchID. Might want to hold off on updating if you haven’t already.
— Alex Hall (@Alexio2010) September 24, 2014
Lots of reports that iOS 8.0.1 breaks cell service and TouchID on the iPhone 6. Wait to update. http://t.co/QnU0D4rFJP
— Dieter Bohn (@backlon) September 24, 2014
if people can’t call me in iOS 8.0.1 that’s not a bug it’s a feature
— taylor hatmaker (@tayhatmaker) September 24, 2014
UPDATE 9/24/14 11:56AM PT: Mashable reports Apple has pulled the iOS 8.0.1 update following reports that the update was breaking TouchID and preventing users from accessing cellular data.
Follow me on Twitter: @lewisleong